Sunday, July 8, 2007

Guinness and Friends from Northern Ireland

Running and sweating along my favorite path, the National Mall. I don't always get the opportunity to stop and grab a cold one -- not within eyeshot of the US Capitol, at least -- the Capitol Police or Park Police would be on top of me in a milisecond or less like a SWAT team on G-8 protestors.


The Legendary drummers Mark Wilson and Lee Lawson performing their magic on the snare 

But this cold one was a frosty Guinness, and today, was like no other day in balmy July on the throes of a long week and the tail end of one of my most favorite Folk Life Festivals thus far (Last year was Silk Roads and the year before featured arts and craft from Latin America).



I took a huge sip, the thick creamy head felt cold, refreshing, sweet, bitter, bubbly -- it was quite a sensation, like no other beer.  Still, I was not entirely used to the heavy stout -- but once in a while on an occasion like this, it was delightful.

Noticing that the Northern Island display had an actual outdoor bar, and parched and dehydrated after an arduous run of 3 miles on a warm, summer day, it was hard to resist a cold one.  Contrary to what some people believe, beer is good for you and it does quench your thirst.

The Northern Ireland program brought to DC music, artists, storytellers, craftspeople, cooks, etc. -- one I've tremendously enjoyed all week.  The curator, Nancy Groce, did an outstanding job bringing everybody and everything together.



So with Guinness in hand, this is where I met Jamie - nice girl who had an avid interest in anything Irish. From there, the networking expanded and I was introduced to Mark Wilson, a classy musician with an awesome set of drums who could twirl the drumsticks like a cheerleader's baton but still not miss a beat. There were other musicians, and bagpipers, but Mark was one heck of a guy who could put on quite a show. Mark introduced me to Tommy Sands -- a great Irish-ballad singer, song writer and social activist whose Bariton Irish Gaelic voice could calm even my most savage run. I could listen to him endlessly (Lagan Stage), to the point where I was saddened when he ended the show. I gave Tommy one of my signature coins and he presented me with one of his CDs that had not yet been released -- I felt royally honored and overjoyed by such a heartfelt gesture from such a distinguished gentleman.

After the networking and after I decided to go for another loop around the Capitol, we decided to meet later in the evening at the Roslyn Hyatt for the Farewell Festival.


Amy (not real name) was there and she asked me to buy her a drink at the bar.  I was glad to comply, so I purchased her a 20 oz pub glass of her favorite lager, even though I had my fill for the evening.  Thought we were going to sit down and talk for a bit, but within minutes of getting her drink, she impolitely ignored me and headed straight for another guy at the bar.  Obviously she was attracted to him.  That was fine, but thought that she was a little inconsiderate for not asking me or telling me that she was leaving.  Anyhow, there was too much fun to have at the Festival.  And Mark and Lee were in the midst.

So yes, the Festival was a tremendous Blast! It was Sunday and had to work the next day, but it was all well worth it.  We stayed up to the wee hours of the morning, talking, singing and enjoying each other's company.

And guess who I invited to the Pentagon the next day: Jamie, Mark and Lee for a personalized tour before Mark and Lee boarded the flight back to Northern Ireland later that afternoon.

What was supposed to be a short run and a brief opportunity to listen to music at the Smithsonian Folklife Fest, turned out to be something frosty fermented, and remarkably memorable--an experience that gave me lasting life-long friends, half a world away.


One day, I hope to visit Northern Ireland.  Perhaps one day I will see Mark and Lee again.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.