Sunday, November 1, 2009

Honoring my New Lease on Life


"Then with these parting words, we stood up to say goodbye and to give each other a big hug to reassure one another that accidents do happen and that life is the most precious gift of all."


Reflecting


Today is my anniversary on a new lease on life. This is not a lease that you just sign arbitrarily with some random landlord so that you can have a place to rest. This is a lease that allows you to breathe, embrace and live another day so that we can make a valuable impact to those who are around us.


Three years ago today, I was involved in a shocking and traumatic head-on collision in the middle of the highly-travelled Rock Creek Parkway.


It was a bizarre accident, something that just didn't seem right -- something I can never explain, something I would never want to relive again, but glad anyhow to live another day.

Understanding


Where did I go?


I was just leaving Cilantro in Georgetown -- one of my friends from the Pentagon had turned 30 and was throwing a big bash. I was happy for her -- she had leased the entire top floor of the boutique restaurant, and there would be well over 200 guests, nearly 50 of them I already knew.

Could have been Avoided


The uncanny part of this whole ordeal was that I was not even supposed to be there that evening. No, I didn't have anything else planned. The truth is, I was not even invited to my friend's party at all. But after word got out from my friends and co-workers that she was throwing a party, I gave my birthday friend a polite call and asked her why I wasn't on her list.


She quickly replied that it was an oversight, apologized dearly and immediately shot out an evite.


Why I had the audacity to mention this to her, I'll never find out. But I am deeply glad to be able to live another day with the realization that perhaps some things are better left unsaid, some things are better left alone.

Negotiating


Good Decision; My Lucky Night


So with so many friends, acquaintances and friends of friends socializing and of course, networking, I was truly in my elements. And the thought crossed my mind many times -- I thought about grabbing a beer or a cocktail. The moment was festive, and I was definitely in the mood. But for some unexplained reason, my inner instincts got the best of me, and I decided strongly against it.

Before long, I started getting tired and felt the urge to go home-- another mystery, since it was only 10:00 PM.


So, after bidding adieu, I set off on my trusty Ford Ranger pickup truck towards the heart of the city.


Wrong Way Short Cut


Instead of driving towards Washington Circle and towards Foggy Bottom, I had decided to take a shortcut towards the Mall and Independence Avenue.


Instinctively, I had turned down the ramp towards the Parkway, oblivious to the fact that as soon as I entered the Parkway, I would come face to face with a massive wave of oncoming traffic.


These drivers had just come over the bridge from Virginia, and they had not yet slowed down for the more modest DC speed limits. For them it was the Rock Creek 500.


My Brush with Death


It was too late -- my life flashed in front of me. The oncoming traffic slowed to a ghastly crawl, it seemed, but it was truly just my imagination because like charging Roman gladiators they were flank to flank and heading flank speed towards me.


There was nothing I could do, except slow down and prayed that the traffic would completely miss me.


The car that hit me was an SUV. I remember seeing their tense faces, their strange look in their eyes inquiring why I was going the wrong way.

It appeared to be two stocky men -- who immediately egressed. Whew -- a good sign that they seemed physically unhurt.


Surprisingly, one of the men, I believe the passenger, immediately came over to ask for a light. I was still shaken and sort of in a daze, but without hesitation, I turned around to search the back seat for a flashlight, trying to make sense of things that had just been twisted and turned around.


"No, a cigarette light," he snapped.


I was disappointed that I didn't have a light to give him, but found it amazing that his mind was not in a state of shock like mine. A cigarette seconds after a violent head-on collision would not normally be something I would have in mind, but in this minute of confusion and turmoil, it only seemed logical to want a smoke.


His nerves was probably wrecked, the car body was totaled, but his body it appeared, would be just fine.


Inspiring

The blunt, beat-up image and optics of the two vehicles with the hood and grill smashed mercilessly was ghastly terrifying especially for the oncoming traffic that came to an abrupt standstill that winter night.


It was a miracle that everyone survived -- it's a miracle that no one was hurt.

The cops were the first ones on the scene. As expected, they were hot on my case, interrogating me over and over again whether I had anything to drink. Of course, they would not take my word and put me through a rather intense series of tests to check my sobriety and mental capacity.

After I was given a strong thumbs up and had finished giving the police report, we simply had to just sit painfully and wait patiently. I said a quick prayer of thanks and whispered a meaningful prayer for the other two men -- total strangers, but strangers whom I came too close to know. That's when I reached over and noticed my blackberry holstered to my belt.

I knew I had to notify friends and colleagues, so I fired off a quick email to my friend at work who was also at the birthday party...


JD,

How are you. You wouldn't believe what happened.

I was leaving Cilantro's and got into a head-on
collision on Rock Creek Parkway.
I will explain more tomorrow.

Thank God, I am fine and so is the other party.

Take Care,
Chito

It took over an hour for the police and paramedics to clear us. The only injury I sustained was a rib injury from the inertia I experienced that threw me against the steering wheel. Luckily, the seat belt kept me from going through the windshield.


All Alone
I wanted to just go home, but nobody was around to pick me up.


The other vehicle had their girlfriends come to check on them. I was happy for them that they had company, and I felt sad that I was all alone. During this trying moment, I wanted nothing more than comfort and a hug from a loved one to tell me that it's going to be ok. So I sat there just watching -- their friends terrified at first, but now ecstatic to see that they were not hurt.

Then the cathartic moment came when all of a sudden the driver left his party and approached me.

"You're going to be ok?"
"I'm just fine. How 'bout you."
"We're going to make it; I wish you the best of luck."


Then with these parting words, we stood up to say goodbye and to give each other a big hug to reassure one another that accidents do happen and that life is the most precious gift of all.

Navigation


The Long, Painful Ride Home


Once everyone had embraced each other and started heading home, I hopped a ride to the metro with the tow truck, caught a train to the nearest metro station to my home, then a bus which took me minutes to my doorstep.


It was a long ride for a long night, and by the time I entered my doorway, my body felt so beat up that I just wanted to lay on my bed and cry.

I would not get much sleep that night. I kept on tossing and thinking how it could have ended up -- either me in the morgue, in the hospital, or in the slammer.

Sometime that night I finally dozed off and slipped into a silent soliloquy that took me to another world away.

The next morning I awoke feeling more rested, but still groggy and with a thumping head ache that wouldn't go away. I was still in disbelief about what happened -- many times I looked out my window hoping to see my truck parked neatly in the driveway.


After a hot shower and a warm breakfast, I felt dramatically better. Still my ribs were tender and in nagging pain, but I wanted to head out and get some fresh air.


The Celebration


Earlier in the week, Rajika had invited me to celebrate the 5th birthday of the Asian elephant calf, Kandula at the Smithsonian National Zoo. There's no reason why I couldn't celebrate Kandula's birthday. I was glad to be alive and I could celebrate another day of life in the Zoo.


So I caught a bus to see Rajika-- it seemed today was just any ordinary day, being thankful to be alive, and thankful that I could live to tell my story.


Moral of the story:


1) Some things are better left unsaid -- I shouldn't have called my friend who forgot to invite me. Perhaps there was a reason why she forgot. God had a reason for me not to be there. And when I foolishly intervened, he was gracious enough to save my life.


2) There was also another reason not to drink anything that night -- seemed counterintuitive -- but not everything in life has to make sense or has to be done a certain way, just because it's expected or everyone else is doing it. You are you and only you can do what's best for you.

This time I sensed the specifics and wisely listened to my inner voice -- Immaculate and Almighty, God was talking to me, and because I stubbornly but unconditionally listened, I'm able to share these life-changing lessons today.


"RUNIN and slow down to smell the Glories."

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Chito, I remember the accident you told me 3 yrs ago (is it that long ago?). Glad you learned a lesson from this & more than anything that you & the other guys were not hurt. Everything in life has a reason, some very weird ones.

    ReplyDelete


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.