Sunday, October 3, 2010

TS Nicole: Ode to a Storm

Normally I hate tropical storms. They knock down trees, flood basements and lose power.

But now with my newfound love of SUP, I wait for you at the end of the pier, every day, every single hour

Tropical Storm Nicole brought strong winds, heavy rain
I dash out to the Potomac ecstatic, feeling soundly insane


I crossed the Douglass Bridge and turned right at Nationals Park, 
I launched my board at the sparkling Diamond Teague Pier, designed to make the southeast waterfront spark.


The Anacostia River, grimy, polluted and brown
Normally I would grimace, my face wrinkled in a bitter frown


But today I was elated, the wind right behind my back
And I paddled gleefully down the Anacostia on a broad reach tack (wind to my starboard quarter)


The trick to running a downwind is to ride the swells and not lose balance. 
It's all about focus, not your strengths or your talents.


Normally swells are long and steady and ragged like a mop.
But today, the swells were gusting and tall, full of ripples and chop.


Soon, I decided to give in and not work any longer
As I past by the National airport, the waves grew higher and the winds blew stronger.

I shut my eyes, felt the breeze and let the river take me home.
I was in Heaven on the Potomac, surrounded by towering swells, just me, my board alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.