Saturday, March 7, 2009

Indian Summer and a Hip Arab Festival

This afternoon, Colin and I attended the Arabesque festival at the Kennedy Center

The event was quite a cultural kaleidoscope of art, dress, music and poetry.

Besides art, the festival paid homage to Arab contributions to science made during the Middle Ages.

My favorite exhibit is the the Exploratorium, a 15-minute film displayed on a disc in the ceiling. Colin and I reclined as we watch mosque domes dance across the screen alongside pages of early Arabic texts displaying arithmetic and scientific discoveries. The short film quickly establishes how these breakthroughs remain part of our lives to this day.

Today was Indian Summer. The temps today rose up to the low 70s. So Colin and I were in shorts even through the evening. This is amazing since just 5 days ago, we had the biggest snowfall in DC (some places over 12") in over 3 years.

After I dropped Colin off, I went for a nice run on the Mall. I've run the Mall a million times, but this is the first time that I decided to run the WW II monument -- Lincoln Memorial loop a couple times before heading back to the Washington Monument -- no particular reason -- just wanted to do something different.

I wanted to press on, but I remembered that we would be pressing the clocks one hour ahead later tonight for Daylight Savings -- so I decided to spare myself for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.