Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Rain and my New Friends from Bhutan



After spending the last two weeks running around and running by the Bhutan part of the Folklife Festival, I finally caved in and was pleasantly surprised.
First, I was displeased and disinterested -- Bhutan -- why would I care, I thought. Not a country, I knew, not a country, I cared to know.
Actually the strong and thunderous July rains brought me and match together.
I stopped at the Temple (the one originated from the mountains of Bhutan and that they had to re-assemble in the middle of the Mall) for the closing festival.
Then the rain poured like cement buckets and I retreated to sanctuary along with hundreds of my now, new Bhutanese friends.
Bhutan’s diversity was represented by the more than 100 craftspeople, artists, cooks, dancers, regional experts and Buddhist monks who traveled to America's front yard to offer a glimpse of Bhutanese daily life. Artisans demonstrated Bhutan's 13 traditional arts, or zorig chusum; among them were weavers and needle workers who integrate intricate patterns into their textiles, and sculptors, painters and carvers who create artworks for monasteries, temples and Bhutanese homes.
There were also traditional Bhutanese costumes, music and monastic dancers performing ritual masked dances, plus food booths where people could sample ema datsi, Bhutan's national dish of chilies and yak cheese
So, guess where I got invited that evening. Yes, to the Roslyn Hyatt Regency for the Closing party. I met Jamyang and Choki and had a wonderful and splendid time. Even purchased some traditional Bhutanese robe, the one that Prince Wangchuk wore all day. Everyone there thought I was Bhutanese. Even the Prince asked me if I was Bhutanese. I looked at him stunned -- surely he should know his own people. I was delighted and flattered and sometimes played along with the guests -- I think they wished I was, and I didn't want to break their hearts.
Now I have new friends from the Kingdom of Bhutan. Chances are I will never go and visit, but it is an amazing country with an amazing culture and beautiful people.
Don't take anyone, anything or any country for granted. Go and check it out for yourself-- you may be pleasantly in for a surprise treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.